Sunday, June 08, 2008

The Eagle Has Flown

A quick update:

Chris qualified for Kona - and finished 3rd amateur male overall. As if that wasn't impressive enough, he did this wearing my race shorts. Yes, at 4:30 this morning when he put on race shorts he looked at me and said "I think these are your shorts." Imagine a 160 lb man squeezing into size women's small race shorts. He has been christened "Hot Pants Magoo". Not only that but we have enacted new equipment rule: If you soil yourself wearing someone else's race shorts they automatically become your new race shorts. Chris also might want to rethink a rule he enacted last year about which bike to bring to Kona - he said "you bring what brung you" meaning that he rode the bike he qualified on. Following that I fully expect Kona to get an eyeful of my husband wearing his new hot pants. It would only be right.

The Red Bear and JB came in close to each other around 6 hours. If JB hadn't spent 12 minutes total in transition he might have had a fighting chance of holding the Red Bear off. And after 6 hours in the sun, the Red Bear truly is...red.

IM Able gets the award for loudest and bestest voice at the finish line. She is every bit as peppy and sweet in real life as she is on her blog.

Kudos to my gal Kate for running the whole run and keeping a smile on her face while others melted away. She made me proud.

And for me - I got an e-mail from coach this morning reminding me that I would be judged on my process goals and not the results. That sat in my head all day. I am pleased to say I achieved all of my goals. But I will admit I wished I had two things (besides someone to turn down the blazing 96 degree heat) - my disc wheel and fresh legs. Not to be had today but in exchange for that I got something better - accomplishment and confidence. A step in the direction of the big picture. Plus I won $$$ for coming in 8th!

I was on the other side of the fence this year - watching all the amateurs stand waiting for notification of whether they got a Kona slot. The sense of excitement and accomplishment of winning your age group for that coveted Kona slot came alive to me as I found Kerri Robbins in the medical tent, IV in her arm, and said "Kerri, you qualified for Kona." The look on her face and her voice shaking was priceless and made me realize why it is such a special race. And though I won't be racing there this year (pro's have to qualify at a full IM and there are none in my plans) I will get to spectate my husband and all of these great friends. So I guess I have some training to do in the category of hooting, hollering, shouting, jumping and standing on my feet all day in the Kona sun.

22 comments:

CAMI said...

Congrats on sticking to your plan AND placing. Way to go.

brenda O said...

What a great day for you and Chris! Congrats to you both!!!

Alili said...

Okay, 'Hot Pants Magoo?!' That is absolutely hysterical! He should definitely wear them at Kona ;)

Great job hitting your goals today, especially in the heat.

Stef said...

OMG! So happy for you both!!! WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TriGirl Kate O said...

Wow wow wow. Congrats on making it through the heat, and to Chris for qualifying!

rr said...

Way to stick to the process goals.. and 8th is awesome! Congratulations to you, and to hot pants magoo too, can't wait to see that out in Kona this fall.

Alicia Parr said...

Congrats on meeting the process goals! This hot weather is nutty.

IM Able said...

Great job out there "training" today! It was great to see you and cheer you on! You guys were all such winners out there today in the heat...it was just damnable, you know?

I suggest you spend the money on Shlitz and ho's. Or maybe to cover the travel costs. Although I'm *strongly* leaning toward the first option. Just saying.

Danni said...

Congrats to both of you guys!!!
It is awesome that you were able to stick to your goals for the race; but then again, I never had a doubt in my mind about it.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to you both!

Beth said...

Mission accomplished on all accounts! Congrats to you and Chris! Kona will feel cool after today right?! :) Safe travels home!

Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

YEa Yea Yea Smallie Bigs and Smallie Big's Husband! SO HAPPY for the both of you. What an awesome weekend! Cheering from Florida loud and clear. :)

BreeWee said...

LOVE the process goals, just wait till he gives you 140.2 miles of them! They work EVERY TIME!

NICE job Liz, so stoked you are on the verge of some great things! Pay day and top 10...CLAIM IT!

WAY cool about Chris too! Tell him nice job and I dare him to wear the shorts in Kona!

~Robyn~ said...

YAY!! A terrific day for the Waterstraats for sure :) And you better train your cheering...its hard work!

kerri said...

Thanks Liz. Nice race. Good job staying on task and I am sooo happy you are feeling better. YAHOOO...away you go!!!!!

BriGaal said...

Great job, Liz. It was a miserable day and I was just a poser doing the aquavelo! I gave you a cheer as you ran out of the water, and saw you running in when I was finally getting close to getting off my wretched bike :) Good luck with the rest of your season.

Wes said...

Woot! Congratulations on meeting all your goals!!! That is AWESOME! Kudos to Chris as well. I know he has to be psyched!!

Since you won money will that mean you'll be extending a discount to all your students? Just sayin ;-)

Maybe you and Jayme can be training partners for spectating under the sun :-) I know she ROCKS!!!

Andrea said...

Wow.
That's really, really awe -some.
Congrats to you both!

Truly, truly, inspiring.

Bob Mitera said...

The day I get anything of my wife's on is a day I die of malnutrition.

Congrats on Chris getting to Kona.

E - you should volunteer in Kona. It will change your perspective on racing and training forever. I'm a race marshal in Kona.

Eileen Swanson said...

Nice work E.L.F.! Awesome way to stick to the plan and execute. Thanks for your kind words as well.....

Steps in the right direction for both of us....

E

Pedergraham said...

Nice racing, Liz..or should I say nice pacing? We need a photo of Hot Pants Magoo... Congrats to Chris, as well. Glad you two can plan a trip to Kona for the fall!
-Danielle

Jen said...

Congrats on sticking to your goals! (and on the $$$ prize).