Monday, October 06, 2008

It's "Hott" In Here

Extra "t" added for extra emphasis on how damn hot it is here! And I'm not talking about the triathletes...

After breakfasting at Lava Java where I discovered my new favorite breakfast - whole wheat wrap with scrambled eggs, tomatoes and mushrooms AND coffee of course - it was time to run. I gave it about 2 hours to give the breakfast a chance to remain in my stomach and then I set out.

Two hours today of running. Within 20 minutes my hands were wet. Why were my hands wet, I thought. Might be the 1000 percent humidity and damn beating sun! I ran down towards the pier, up Palani, left on Kuakini then back again to run up and down Alii. Of course this was no namby pamby zone 1 run. There was some moderate intensity and marathon pace. But it all felt hard. My legs felt great but I did have to stop a few times to gather my thoughts. Each time I stopped the heat was radiating from me. I think I went through over 90 ounces of fluids out there. When I reached one of the Gatorade tents and all jugs were empty I almost cried. Then I found the last jug had a little bit left and almost cried this time with joy.

All in all I don't remember Kona being this hot before. Or maybe I just forgot how hot hot really is. Of course as soon as I was done the cloud cover rolled in!

Then I found Chris talking with Seiichi. He is one of my St. Louis athletes. My other two STL boys arrive tomorrow. Chris and I then went for an easy ride. Well I was trying to keep it easy. Chris gapped me then waited and said he thought I had a mechanical issue and that was why I was going so slow. Oh you silly tapered fool! Go, be free!

We went to the straw market and bought oodles of fresh fruit. I had the best grapefruit ever. Then we went to the grocery store and bought a 6 dollar loaf of bread and 5 dollar gallon of milk on sale from 7 dollars. If you're wondering how it is different from the same loaf we buy at home for $2.50 - nothing but I'll keep looking and let you know.

Now we are relaxing. We are cooking dinner and will eat on the lanai - perhaps my favorite part about Hawaii, dinner on a lanai. Tomorrow I am going to swim with Seiichi and then it's coffee. John is trying to talk me into some monster hike up Mauna Loa but I think my legs are too far in the hurt shop for that. We will see.

No other hotties spotted today. I mean, the whole place is crawling with the tri scene but one fit body is just like another. I think Macca rode by me today. I did see Jeff Keil too. Kate Pallardy yelled at me from a car. But it's still early. The town has not exploded in triathlon just yet.

Trust me.

5 comments:

Ashley said...

Thank you for keeping us all updated... the next best thing to being there: reading your blog (however, a VERY far 2nd - sorry :) stay cool and find me a hottie, thanks!

Jennifer Cunnane said...

Have fun! Keep those St louis boys in check! Can't wait to hear about more freak sightings of studly triathlets

Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

Sounds like you're having a GREAT time! That's awesome! Go for the hike... and bring your camera :) The past few times you've been on The Island, you've been racing - do the touristy things for a change. Next year you'll be too busy with your race... :)

Flatman said...

Sounds just perfect.

Trigirlpink said...

I keep forgetting that you aren't doing Kona and I'm wondering... a 2 hour run???? IMAZ IMAZ....
Sounds like your having a great time sans any plane germs from sneaking in.