Monday, October 06, 2008

Morning View

Aloooooooooooooooooooooooooooo - HA!

We are in Kona.

Yesterday was - next to Ironman and getting married - the longest day of my life. After a 90 minute delay in Denver we were sure we would miss our connecting flight in San Francisco to Kona. The last and ONLY flight left to Kona or Honolulu we were told. By some miracle of lava gods, the flight to Kona was also delayed 90 minutes so running through the airport lugging a 20 pound laptop....I hit my lactate threshold for sure - well, we made it on the plane and made it to Kona.

A good night's sleep, an early morning walk and we were at Lava Java enjoying the ocean view.

Now, everyone, close your eyes. Imagine blue water, a slight breeze sifting through the palm trees. A cloudless sky. Dozens of lean bodies around you. You are in Kona. You have arrived.

This just in: hottie spotting #1 - Chris Lieto. At the Lava Java which this year is sponsored by K Swiss.

We took a walk down to the pier. Everyone is swimming! The water looks calm and beautiful.

Other than that, I have decided that triathlon has an eating disorder. For crying out loud I feel like the fattest one here! It's different than other years. Everyone looks disgustingly out of control lean. Ick. I am going to sit on Alii Drive and throw hamburgers at half the girls that run by.

I will provide updates as much as I can and post pictures when I take them. For now, I'm going back to my coffee and the ocean view.

15 comments:

Muppetdog said...

Woohoo, you made it! I won't feel too bad for you though after the mental picture you just painted. *seethes with jealousy* Enjoy!

Wes said...

I wish I could get somebody to throw hamburgers at me during a race...

Glad you arrived safely :-)

Cat said...

make sure to feed one to your lovato. not an OUNCE of fat on him anywhere!

glad you arrived safely and can commence observing and commentating!

cat.

D said...

Ummm... if you're that fattest one there, then I'm in big trouble. At least you won't feel like that when I arrive. Oh sigh. Looks like salad for lunch haha.

Flatman said...

Have a ball...and a burger! ;)

Renee said...

Can't wait to hear more updates! Glad you guys made it!

Eileen Swanson said...

Oh I so wish I was there with you guys! Bummer, plans changed of course and I wont be going there. Anyway, have fun and tell Chris Lieto that Reid and I say hi and kick butt! Tell Matt Lieto too. Keep us posted on all the cool happenings!

E

Charisa said...

Glad you made it. Definitely throw hamburgers at those too-skinny girls! You make me laugh! I'll be there in 2 days - please don't throw hamburgers at me on race day! :)

Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

Make it candy instead. That's sure to stop them. (or perhaps baked goods???). So happy to hear that you guys made it safe and sound! Hooray for BOTH flights being delayed. I can't wait to see the pictures.

I was on the beach today as well - although it was a bit breezy and no swimmers. But the water was clear blue and the waves lapped at my feet. Ah - but the Gulf Coast just isn't the same as Kona... :)

Jason said...

Make sure to occasionally look up and wave to the live webcam. :)

http://www.hawaii-kona.com/webcam/index.html

Kim said...

Sounds beautiful out there (aside from the cheeseburger-phobia). Good luck on your race!

Kim said...

I agree about everyone here. I feel a bit like a heffer and I be danged if I don't get people telling ME I am too skinny somtimes! Even the men look sicky. No thanks. I love food! I am about 90% sure I was riding toward you today as you ran by wearing a fuel belt. I didn't want to slam on the breaks & distrub your "spectaclete/AZ" training, but next time I will probably say screw it and just do it. Hope you had a great run. That water is amazing!! I loved it!!

IronMatron said...

Love the updates! Keep them coming. So jealous about the coffee/ breeze/aqua ocean Lava Java thing, which of course I haven't experienced, but it sounds ....
awesome.

Jen Foley said...

I guess I need to stop eating chocolate and drinking wine, because I am starting to feel like I need to train! =)

Drew said...

Mmmmmm. Hamburgers.