Saturday, January 31, 2009


Here I am Saturday night while my husband is cutting wood at his parents house (sadly that is not code for anything – he is really over there cutting wood) and I am here with BossBoss who is having a lovely date with his blue blanket and rawhide bone.

It’s a wild and crazy Saturday night.

I have been down for the count for about 2 days. Really it’s been about 7 days but who is counting.


It started last Saturday after the swim. On Saturday I swim and run. Running has been feeling strong lately despite weighing about 5 – 7 lbs more than ever (but again who is counting; again, me). So I wasn’t too happy when I boarded the mill of dread to find that my anterior tibs really hurt which usually means something is about to go wrong (enter ominous foreshadowing)...

Sunday was good though. I had my bike test and added a ridiculous number of watts since my last test and since I was getting sick this impresses me even more and trust me – it has been a LONG LONG time since I have impressed myself so it is worth noting and don't worry the bottom drops out in a few days...

Monday I woke up and didn’t feel too bad. Tuesday it finally hit. I read somewhere that it takes 4 days for something to settle into your body and then incubate before revealing itself. On Tuesday I believe I had my big reveal after the bike ride. I had a good bike ride then did masters at night. Lucky for me we did yet another timed mile. When I added 1 minute to my time from 2 weeks ago I did the math and even with my bad math knew that something was up (or slow, or just wrong).

Wednesday I still was not convinced I was at death’s door so instead went running in the cold. I forgot to mention that on Saturday my foot – my right foot which is supposed t o be my good foot – kind of blew up for no reason at all. I was convinced it was broken, fractured or slowly seceding from the rest of my body. I also am convinced it was all the treadmill’s fault so I ran outside on Wednesday instead. That was great except for the fact that it was about 17 degrees and windy. At one point I was so cold that I wanted to cry but intelligently said to myself – a wet face is a cold face so instead I gathered myself and finished the run.

After that run I got my usual winter kennel cough that sometimes leaves me breathless in the middle of the street gasping for air and convinced I will die – DIE – and have to run up to a stranger’s doorway explaining who I am and where I come from in 1 breath of less. DIE! I decided then – finally – that a trip to the doctor was in order. I have been wheezing for about 6 weeks and had on and off episodes of kennel cough. I get wheezy most winters so I don’t think much of it. But now it seemed kind of different.

Time to call the doctor.

Wednesday night was a weird one. At midnight Chris’ phone rang. I thought about not waking him up to tell him it rang but then feared it was bad news about someone in his family. Turns out his office burned down and…yeah. That’s all I’m going to say about that. So on Thursday I woke up late with 15 minutes to get myself to the doctor which was 12 minutes away.

I got there just in time to get weighed. Good thing because I wasn’t feeling fat or anything. So I took off my shoes – hey, this isn’t my first time at the doctor’s weigh in rodeo – and the nurse actually said to me, “funny, you look like a much more silght thing than that.”

I think that was her very polite way of calling me fat.

Good thing I took off my shoes.

Anyways, the Nurse Practitioner (who has the same stethescope and prescripton rights as a doctor but got out of school before she was 40…who’s the smart one now?) told me I had acute bronchitis and gave me 30 days worth of antibiotics crammed into 5 pills (which feels GREAT on my stomach) and a funky steroid inhaler that leaves me jittery and feeling like I could lift a truck.

I did nothing on Thursday and Friday and woke up on Saturday saying give me a workout or give me death. You see, last year I never wanted to train because I was so overtrained. This year I really want to train. The first thing I thought of when I found out I was officially sick was DAMN! I just want to train! So now I sit here literally foaming at the mouth for training. Last year I would have said – screw it! I’m going shopping instead.

Obstacles as opportunities, I know. So I took the opportunity to find a new hobby today. Actually it was Chris’ demand. He told me over coffee (ironically) that I need to relax. I don’t do so good at the relaxing. Yoga was supposed to help but then it turned into a stretch death mission. So relaxing is not my thing because all of my hobbies are work or working out. I just really like what I do and really like doing things too. I can’t sit still.

I believe Chris’ words were something like this:

“My mom has shopping, Meredith has beading, Megan has shopping – well she did but now she has baby – and my dad has trains. You need to find something mindless to do like all of that.”

It’s as good as done: I’m going to start shopping for beaded trains.

So I thought – scrapbooking. There’s this little issue of my wedding pictures from my wedding 3 years ago that are still sitting in a box. Today would be the day I would put them into an album with all sorts of stickers and frilly things. Oh why not. They’re just pictures and I am not paying some guy an extra $700 to put them in a glossy laminated album.

I didn’t realize people took scrapbooking so seriously. There’s a lot of shit out there you can scrapbook with and I felt really overwhelmed. I bought a lot of stuff then spent the rest of the day in a sea of sticky tabs, card stock and wedding photos. It was not relaxing because I am a perfectionist who has to line everything up and match everything and ended up tossing half of what I did to do it all over again.

So much for relaxing.

Now I feel back to normal and fully functional. I can pin this one on Chris. He nursed me back to health with vanilla milk (that sounds kind of creepy, eh?). I am drinking vanilla milk because Chris bought it for me. I complained to him that I felt I had not met my nutritional quota for the day so the boy brings me back vanilla milk. That’s usually my treat after a hard workout. But these days the treats seem to come after…well, just about anything. Hey, I answered the phone! Treat. I got the mail! Treat. That might be why I’m not such a slight thing. But I’m not counting (yes…I am…really).

For the rest of the night I’m going to take hits from my new inhaler and run crazy laps around the living room with Boss. Because I have got to burn off the 400 calories of vanilla milk I just drank. Plus I’m just itching to run. And as long as I keep it in zone 1 I think it’s safe to do a few crazy laps...



Keith said...

Dude. Your brain needs idle time too. Maybe not as much as the rest of us, but as I tell my buddy Susi regularly, "Sedate the effing gerbil!!" Chris is exactly right. Listen to the man. Find *something*, it doesn't matter what.

When you're sick, you need rest. Or you'll make yourself sicker. If you don't give your body what it needs (whether it knows it needs it or not at that point) eventually it will figure it out and take what it needs, regardless of what else is going on in your life.

And she was calling you muscular. You didn't say so, but no doubt you thought she really was saying your butt was huge. But then, all guys believe that all women believe their butt is too big.

Sit. Breath normally. (Which if you've watched the British version of Coupling is funny in this context). Do nothing else. It is surprisingly difficult. It ought to keep you occupied. Try it. Sit. Straight back. Breath normally. No need to cross your legs in some weird unnatural way, or put your fingers into some weird position. Let your brain go where ever it wants, for now. Don't let it off the leash. Just breath.

Beth said...

I kind of had a laugh picturing you doing scrapbooking...trying to line everything up perfectly, getting gluestick all over Boss... :) I hope you feel better soon though and are able to get back to some training before you go crazy!!

Train-This said...

Whoa..... all I have to do for my Masters is wear a stethescope?

Damn, I am studying waaaay too hard for my NP!

Get better soon girl,good to see the mojo is returning!

:-) Mary

Spokane Al said...

Well I am glad to hear that you headed to the doctor for a fix to your problems. Take it from me, we can't tough it through all the time.

Wes said...

Lucky for me, I was able to fight mine off with a few nights of good sleep! I hope you feel better soon!!

Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

Okay Liz - let's get better together! At least you can run in zone 1. My hr is elevated just getting out of bed, which makes me feel queasy. There's only so much nyquil and theraflu I can handle. Here's to feeling better SOON!

Pam said...

Are you trying to say mindlesssly stalking people you don't even care about on Facebook isn't a hobby??? I hope you are not saying that.

Also a nurse once told me she couldn't believe someone "so little could weigh so much." They say stuff. They don't know what they're saying. But its totally a compliment. She wouldn't dare say anything about to your face if she thought you were fat. She was a woman, right?

Ulyana said...

oh no! sounds like you are getting better, but get "really" better soon!

Meredith said...

Its hard to find what you can do to relax, without working, without working out, without thoughts moving 100mph....I can sooooo relate to this...and unfortunately I don't have an answer to this one.....keep me posted...:) in the mean time, blogging on something like a comment page is as close to relaxing that I can think of right now....